Sunday, June 5, 2016

Good night 54 N. Davis Drive.

I drove away looking in the rear view mirror only to see the back of a dog’s head through a window made of boxes.  I saw the colors of the house, dark peach with light orange-cicle trim, and I saw the leaves of the pecan tree I used to climb as a little girl… and then it was gone.  I suppose I was not expecting much when I drove away that day.  I knew the bustle of the move would rob me of sentimental time, but I at least thought I would have a better look in the rear view mirror.  I cursed.  “Damn, Sarah, you should have drove the other way.  You would have had a better view.”  And with my cursing I stopped at the stop sign at which I had stopped a thousand times and turned right off of old N. Davis Drive for the last time.  Childhood memories and identities left to fallow in the fields of my youth. 
Nostalgia is a funny thing.  It can waken and trap our souls given its dose.  Too much of anything is a bad thing.  And when left to ferment in nostalgia, one can get lost in a past that can never be reclaimed.  My parents wanted to move out of my childhood home 10 years ago when my sister and I left the house for college, but mom’s job kept them rooted.  For the past few years my parents have been living in a house of stale memories, the occasional new memories created during holiday visits.  It is for this reason, I cannot be too sad.  My parents are thrilled to start a new chapter in a new locale, yet admittedly I cannot help that my heart still hurts as I drive away.
A few years ago I wrote a piece about “falling in love with the land.  I loved that small fragment of property on which my parents raised us.  I formed my identity in that place.  And as with all loves that come and go, they are always a part of who you are and who you have become.  I skinned my knees on that gravel drive when I first learned to ride a bike.  I learned how to climb trees on the pecan in the side yard.  I learned how to garden in that soil, and I found God in that field on our property.  The memories are too numerous to count, and so I thought for now I would recall just one. 
When I moved back to Georgia for a brief time from Tucson, I was more than eager to plant a garden.  Having been deprived of the green luscious vegetation of the Southeast for a year, I not only wanted to be outside in it, but I wanted to create more of it.  I was ambitious.  Dad and I plowed and planted an eighth of an acre.  Being novices we overseeded and didn’t thin.  The result was a jungle of tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash.  My folks fed the neighborhood that summer.  Dad took tomatoes to Ms. Woodward next door, whose husband many years before had delivered tomatoes to us.  Mom took lemon cucumbers to her hospital by the load, and the squash emerged like daylilies from the field.  However, I suppose it was not the produce that I remember so fondly, but it was sitting in the garden that warm summer morning soon after we had put the seeds in the ground.  As I sat in the garden, Dad’s Motown tunes, the same ones he used to play all those years working on the house, wafted over from his workshop.  The temperature that day was perfect, and the dogs in the yard were playing.  I was overwhelmed by a peace possibly we only know at the most special moments in our lives and maybe again in heaven.  Somehow the world was right, and I have never felt so rooted and loved.  I stayed in that moment for a long while before I moved from my spot in the field, and I will never forget that moment for the remainder of my life.  I don’t doubt heaven will resemble its image in my mind.  It was a rare moment in which heaven met earth.


And so with that I say “Good night 54 N. Davis Drive. Good night sweet dancing pines.  Goodnight Buster, Aussie, Georgia, Baron, Sabbath, Puzzle, and Oz – the Parsons’ dog legacies forever planted in that earth.  Good night skinned knees and dreams of my youth.  Good night home.”  Until we meet again…

No comments:

Post a Comment